Thursday, October 24, 2013

Another First Post

I love making videos for my YouTube channel, +ECON, but I need a place to just let out a quick thought on economics sometimes that doesn't require filming and editing or accosting an acquaintance with a discussion.  So I'll write down thoughts on here from time to time.

Right now I'm working on a video about the top five reasons you shouldn't vote - controversial, right?  I also feel I should make a short thank you video for when I hit my first big benchmarks on YouTube: 100 subscribers and 10,000 views!  If I'm lucky I'll have hit both by Halloween, but we'll see.

My main view and subscription driver is my tutorial video titled Price Elasticity of Demand, which, as I've been told in person and in the comments, explains the concept and math of elasticity quite well.  I've definitely made some poor videos though, but I'm trying to hone this new craft of mine.

I started plusECON in part because all the economics videos online are old men in front of whiteboards (with the notable exception of Jodi Beggs, who is a young woman in front of a white board - she's definitely the best right now if you want straight-up mathematical tutorials and help with econ homework); honestly, even Khan Academy's econ vids disappointed me .

Another huge reason I make these videos is that economic literacy is low; I felt someone needs to make interesting videos that discuss how the concepts may affect one's daily life.  I firmly believe anyone who takes time to understand basic concepts (e.g. sunk costs) or even more advanced ones (e.g. quasi hyperbolic discounting) will make better decisions and, therefore, be happier.  Economics may be called the "dismal science", but the principles revealed by it can be breathtakingly beautiful.

I'll try my best to write excellent posts and create great videos to spread economic literacy.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment